Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Charity Time

It's Tuesday!

I hope you are having a great day so far!  As you may recall, last Tuesday, I gave you a sneak peek of the fabric for a project I was working on:

Yesterday, was a sneak peek of the project:


Today is the full reveal!  Our Modern Quilt Guild decided to do a really fun challenge several months ago.  We called it the Crayon Quilt Challenge.  We picked five crayons out of a bag. With those five crayons, we had to choose two to match to print fabric and the other three we had to match to solid fabric.  We could only use these five colors on the entire quilt and they all had to be used on the top.  Some of the girls were a little intimidated, because it was going to be a challenge to match some of the crayons and make it a pretty quilt.  We had the following rule:

Your quilt must have at least 2 of these attributes of modern quilt design:
    • Uses asymmetry
    • Reinterprets a traditional quilt block
    • Minimalistic
    • Alternative block structure or lack of visible block structure
    • Uses increased amount of negative space
    • Uses improvisational piecing
    • Inspired by modern art or architecture
  • Also, the quilts had to be at least 50" x 50" and we were going to turn them in to be donated to a charity of our choosing.  We also had wonderful prizes to give away for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and a random drawing for all that made a quilt.

    We did use Crayola Crayons.  Here are the five colors I received and the colors I matched them to:
    Purple Mountain Majesty--Kona Crocus
    Asparagus--Kaffe Fassett green foliage print
    Tumbleweed--Kona Wheat
    Wild Strawberry--Kaffe Fassett pink circles print
    Carnation Pink--Kona Candy Pink

    Here is my final quilt creation out of the five crayon colors I had and I love how it turned out!

    Back of quilt


    Up close of back--used the half square triangles from the flying geese to make the blocks

    Here is the front of quilt being shown for judging during our guild meeting:


    Back of quilt(upside down because I pinned the number and crayons in wrong corner on front..LOL)


    Here are the girls and the nine quilts we finished and donated to our charity, The Samaritan House.

    We had nine amazing quilts!  They were all unique, modern and absolutely beautiful.  I am so very proud of our guild and all the ladies who participated in the great challenge.  Some of the girls fretted about their crayons , but I will tell you, they all did the most amazing job coming up with all the beautiful quilts.  What an honor to be part of such a wonderful guild!  By the way, my quilt didn't win anything, but that is OK, because I made it for the charity and not for the prize.  I am always happy to help make charity quilts!  This was such a wonderful and fun challenge!

    Have a great day!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope I have inspired you just a bit! I appreciate all the wonderful comments and hope you will come back again soon! Have a great day!!!