Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thankful Thursday

It's Thursday and it's time to be Thankful!
 
Today, I am thankful to our Knoxville Modern Quilt Guild for finding a charity that we could become involved in.  We started making charity blocks last year.  We decided on the type of block and the colors and we ask our members to make a 12 1/2" block or two, once a quarter.  We then turned them in, put them together, quilted them and passed them along to a wonderful charity in our town that helps single mothers.  (I will talk more about this charity soon, as there are many exciting things happening!) 
 
Here is one of the quilts we have done, recently.  We had decided on warm colors in oranges, reds, yellows and pinks and decided to do a pinwheel block.  As you can see, there are a number of different blocks, besides the basic pinwheel.  It turned out beautifully with all the variety of blocks and colors and we even had a few extra blocks to piece on the backing.  Our quilter did a simple meandering stipple on the quilt, so that it would not take away from the movement of the blocks.  I just think it is gorgeous.  The girls in our guild are so talented and so giving and love doing our charity blocks for such a great cause. 


 
We did four different quilts this past year, in different block designs.  Two were in warm colors and two were in cool colors.  I will feature all of these soon.  We have decided to adopt this charity for the next several years, because we like their mission.  We also decided to do charity blocks every other month, instead of once a quarter.  We are doing improv blocks now in certain colors each time.  I am so excited, because I love doing the charity blocks for such a worthy cause.  I will share more with you on the blocks, quilts and the charity in the next little bit!
 
Because that's what kindness is.  It's not doing something for someone else because they can't, but because you can. 
~Andrew Iskander
 
Have a very Thankful Thursday!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope I have inspired you just a bit! I appreciate all the wonderful comments and hope you will come back again soon! Have a great day!!!